Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Breaking News # 2: Justice Stevens Dies

As readers may already have seen, former U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens has died at the age of 99.  (He had just recently come out with a new book, The Making of a Justice:  Reflections on My First 94 Years.)  Over the course of his long career on the bench, he authored many important opinions, including some on IP and antitrust.  Sometimes I agreed with him, sometimes I didn't, but I think he will long be remembered as a voice of reason.  

On a personal note, I had the honor of meeting Justice Stevens once, back in 1987, when he interviewed me for a clerkship.  I didn't get the job--I'm sure there were other candidates much more qualified than I was--but it was a thrill for me nonetheless.  The thing I will remember most is when he showed my a baseball he kept on his desk, autographed by his (and my) favorite team, the Chicago Cubs.  

Rest in peace, Justice Stevens. 

  John Paul Stevens, SCOTUS photo portrait.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment