Thursday, February 6, 2020

Remembering Judge Lawrence W. Pierce

Just a few hours ago, I published a short remembrance of Judge Deborah Batts.  And now, just a few minutes ago, I learned that the judge both she and I clerked for, the Honorable Lawrence W. Pierce, also has died.  Judge Pierce was 95.  I will always cherish the time I spent as a law clerk in his chambers, from 1987-88.  I remember his interest in genealogy and the Revolutionary War--he took us clerks to Fraunces Tavern, the site of Washington's farewell to his troops, on at least one occasion--and I recall hearing later about his post-judicial experiences in Cambodia.  

He was a kind man who led a remarkable life, and will be missed.

Update:  Obituaries have now been published in the New York Times (along with this memorial by the clerks), and by Fordham Law School and Yardley & Pino Funeral Home.


LawrencePierce.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment